Ground-fault circuit interrupters, also known as GFCI outlets, are an easy way to protect your family from electrocution at home. GFCI outlets prevent shocks by interrupting the flow of electricity when a significant change in the frequency of the electrical current is detected. GFCI outlets also reduce the risk of fire. In addition to being good for your family and your home, GFCI outlets can also prolong the life of your electrical appliances. While new homes must be equipped with GFCI outlets, traditional outlets in existing homes can be affordably updated to make you feel safer.
- A GFCI outlet shuts off the flow of electricity when it detects a variation of more than 5 milliamps between a device’s output and input.
- GFCI outlets can prevent electrocution by detecting “loose” electricity and shutting off the power to an outlet almost instantly.
- GFCI outlets protect people and property by reducing the chances of an electrical fire and the tragic result that can result.
“At least 300 people die from occupational electrocutions annually, and there are over 4,000 electrocution injuries.”