Call Us Today

Tripping breakers are one of the most common electrical problems. There can be a number of culprits, some of which you can diagnose yourself before calling a professional. For example, you might be dealing with an overload if you’ve connected too many appliances to a single circuit. Breakers may also trip due to a short circuit. Likewise, you may need to replace a faulty breaker panel.

Here are the main causes of tripping circuit breakers.

Faulty Breaker Panel
Many homes have malfunctioning breaker panels, especially those older than a decade. The unit wears down over time and trips at slight power level fluctuations. If the panel were in good condition, the breaker wouldn’t trip so often. Repairing this problem on your own can be dangerous, which is why you should consult with an electrician.

Circuit Overload
Another reason your circuit breakers keep tripping is that you might be using too many devices on a single circuit. Alternatively, you might have connected just one or two appliances, but they’re too powerful.

This generally happens with extension cords. They usually supply a large number of appliances with electricity, leading to an overloaded circuit. The easiest solution is to unplug these devices and talk to a professional to determine if your system needs an upgrade.

Ground-Fault Surge
Ground-fault surging can take place when hot wires come into contact with the metal housing linked to the ground. Electricity looks for the fastest way to the ground. As a result, too much electricity travels through hot wires, causing circuit breakers to trip.

Short Circuit
Short circuits normally occur if hot wires touch neutral wires. This results in a heat surge, which triggers your breaker.

If that’s the case, avoid using any outlets leading to the affected circuit. Otherwise, you may increase the risk of an electrical fire.

Key Takeaways:

  • The panel itself could be the main issue of the tripping.
  • Short circuiting is another common issue that is the reason why your circuits are breaking.
  • Another common one is that you have too many appliances plugged in.

“When this happens, we recommend you shut off all appliances in the area and unplug the outlets.”

Read more: